Sunday, April 29, 2012

It all started...

It all started when a friend was allowed to use a Chevrolet Volt. I was intrigued. I spend way too much time in a car and it seemed like a car with better mileage should be in the running for my commute. I'm fairly impulsive, but I can do a review of the literature with the best of them. Most of the literature was doom and gloom...Differences between gas only v electric + gas were lacking evidence that  could defray the cost difference in any long distance circumstance. That is, if you travel many miles the 40 miles with an average cost of 15cents a kWh would mean that a charging the battery would reduce the cost of that 40 miles by 1/3 to 1/2. The gasoline portion of the trip would use premium fuel increasing the cost by an average of 15 cents per gallon over gasoline only engines, assuming regular gas. The fill up strategy would require approximately weekly trips to fill the 9 gal tank.

I wanted a car that felt safe, was comfortable to sit in  and drive for 3 hrs a day.
 I was undaunted and wanted to make this work in my circumstance approx 90 mi a day average including my after work activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment